10:25 am – 11:25 am | Presentation | Room: Timor 1 & 2
Project Manager and Business Analyst - Three Steps to Collaboration
Presented by: Elizabeth Larson
Many organizations have found that even when projects are brought in on time and within budget, they are faced with products and services that don’t work, usually resulting from missed requirements, a product that does not align with the organization’s goals, or because it solves the wrong business problem. These organizations have learned the hard way that business analysis is an important key to project success.
This presentation explains what business analysis is and provides a fifteen question assessment to help project managers (PM) and business analysts (BA) figure out which role they are playing. It then describes the potential conflict that can arise when these two roles work on the same project. Finally it describes the three steps necessary to bring about the collaboration needed for project and organizational success.
- Explain the different roles, accountabilities, and objectives of both the PM and the BA
- Discuss how the two different goals of the PM and BA can intersect rather than compete
- Discuss the areas where the two roles seem to overlap and how to clarify the associated responsibilities to minimize conflict
- Explain how these two roles can work together to best meet project and organizational objectives
- Describe the three steps that both the PM and BA can take to collaborate for project success
Watermark Learning, Inc.
Elizabeth Larson is Co-Principal and CEO of Watermark Learning and has over 30 years of practical experience in business analysis and project management. Elizabeth's speaking history includes keynotes and sessions for national and international conferences on five continents.
Elizabeth has co-authored 5 books and chapters published in four additional books, as well as articles that appear regularly in BA Times, Project Times, and Modern Analyst. She was also a lead author on the BABOK and PMBOK. Elizabeth enjoys traveling, hiking, reading, theater, and spending time with her 6 grandsons.
Elizabeth's 2017 Presentations:
- Project Manager and Business Analyst - Three Steps to Collaboration
Wednesday, November 8, 2017 (10:25 am – 11:25 am)