8:00 am – 8:50 am | Presentation | Room: Banda Sea 1 & 2
The Future of Decision Making using Machine Learning, AI & Cognitive Systems
Presented by: Sridhar Iyengar
This session defines how Cognitive Systems of the future lay the foundation for 'Augmented Intelligence' where teams of human experts and cognitive systems (made up of people, robots, chatbots, cognitive agents and applications) will effectively collaborate to solve business and technical problems that are impossible or impractical to grapple with today. While terms like Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Systems have begun to appear frequently, they are not always well defined. We will start by defining these concepts, how they are related and how they can be used as building blocks of future cognitive systems.
We will use the following motivating examples from Insurance, Banking and Healthcare to illustrate how cognitive systems will help us scale and speed up delivering better business capability:
- Cognitive assistants in a human/cognitive agent environment used by investment banking experts to narrow mergers and acquisition targets
- A financial sentiment aggregator that uses a cognitive engine to consume investment reports and derive investment sentiment and outlook
- A Compliance officer is using a cognitive text analysis engine to extract requirements and obligations from industry regulatory documents and mapping them to controls
- Analysis of psycholinguistic features not only from written text (in Blogs, Tweets) but also from images being shared using deep learning techniques so that a financial services company can better tailor products and services to individual customers
- Analyze patient medical records including images, unstructured
All these examples have to understand 'dark' data in documents, pictures, videos in addition to traditional sources of data in databases and have to deal with enormous volumes of data from which we need to derive insights to make better decisions. The session will conclude with a vision of what Cognitive Systems will be able to do over the next decade.
IBM Distinguished Engineer
IBM TJ Watson Research Center
Sridhar Iyengar, a Distinguished Engineer at the IBM TJ Watson Research Center, is a technical leader at the IBM T.J. Watson Research Center. Sridhar leads the Cognitive Applications and Solutions Research agenda for IBM with a special focus on Document Understanding & Financial Services Cognitive Applications. His technical areas of expertise spans Cognitive Computing, Databases & Data Analytics, Modeling, Middleware and Software Engineering Frameworks. Sridhar is also an industry standards leader and has pioneered several core Architecture, Modeling, Semantic and Data Interchange standards at OMG. Sridhar holds several patents in modeling, metadata management and tools integration and is a frequent speaker at conferences worldwide. Sridhar also serves on the OMG Board of Directors and is a member of the IBM Academy of Technology.
Sridhar's 2017 Presentations:
- Cognitive Systems of the Future: Accelerating Business Capability using Human Machine Symbiosis
Tuesday, November 7, 2017 (9:00 am – 12:00 pm)
- The Future of Decision Making using Machine Learning, AI & Cognitive Systems
Friday, November 10, 2017 (8:00 am – 8:50 am)