9:00 am – 10:00 am | Presentation | Room: Florentine I & II
Process-Based Business Analysis: Blending Art & Science for Better Business Outcomes
Presented by: Jonathan Babcock
How do you know whether you've identified all the organizational impacts for your projects? How do you know when you're *done* identifying requirements? How do you prevent missed requirements and rules? How do you organize and present requirements concepts in a format that both business stakeholders and technical delivery team members can understand and use? Often, organizations place their trust in the “gut feel” of stakeholders, “the template”, or the skill of the assigned analyst to respond to these questions, but there is a better way!
During this session, we will explore how using business process as a foundational structure for your business analysis approach - from scoping, elicitation, specification and evaluation of requirements, to requirements management and reuse - will enable you to produce more accurate, and complete requirements models.
Whether you operate in an agile or traditional delivery environment, using story cards, a management tool, or a requirements document template, you’ll leave this session with fresh ideas for using familiar tools and techniques - and perhaps a few new ones - to improve business analysis output at the individual and team levels.
- Learn how blending business analysis and process analysis facilitates a healthy balance between the art and science behind good requirements.
- Learn about different levels of business process granularity, and the benefits of leveraging them during the various stages of scoping and analysis.|Learn how visual business process frameworks can be used to improve scoping, impact analysis, and requirements management.
- Learn how to get more use and value from business process flows, making them go-to tools for requirements elicitation, specification and validation.
- Learn how a process-based analysis approach can flex to align with traditional or agile solution delivery methodologies, and accommodate any requirements tool or template
Jonathan Babcock is a Senior Manager, and Business Analysis Offering Lead at Jabian Consulting, an Atlanta based management and IT consultancy. In addition to business analysis, Jonathan has served in quality assurance, project/team leadership, solution architecture/design and management roles during his 15+ years delivering business solutions as a consultant and in industry. Jonathan's professional passion is helping organizations and individuals plan and navigate change to make their visions reality. Jonathan is an active participant in the BA community, currently serving as VP of Professional Development for the Greater Atlanta chapter of IIBA®, and online via his website, PracticalAnalyst.com, and Twitter (@jonbab1).
Jonathan's 2016 Presentations:
- Process-Based Business Analysis: Blending Art & Science for Better Business Outcomes
Thursday, November 3, 2016 (9:00 am – 10:00 am)