9:00 am – 12:00 pm | Pre-Conference Tutorial | Room: Roman III & IV
Strategic Business Analysis: Identifying the Business Need Before the Project Starts
Presented by: Adrian Reed
Successful projects need a clear direction and a definitive destination. This starts with a solid understanding of the business problem or opportunity that exists. When the business problem is clearly understood, it is much easier to elicit and analyze business requirements and understand the business value that the project will deliver. Strategic Business Analysis techniques help us to achieve this level of clarity.
This interactive and practical half day tutorial session focusses on how to carry out strategic business analysis either before a project has been initiated or during the project’s early stages. The session starts with a broad definition of strategic business analysis, and then focusses on understanding the high-level “Why” and “What” of projects. The session continues by focusing on how to define a high-level “project concept summary” -- a succinct and extremely high level document that can help shape the direction of a project.
This session will cover:
- A broad overview/definition of strategic business analysis
- Defining a problem or opportunity statement
- Eliciting and documenting the likely scope of a problem
- Defining the business value a project will deliver, using an adapted version of the balanced scorecard
- Creating a precise, concise 1-page "Project Concept Summary" which can be used to drive further work
- This is a practical and hands-on workshop and will be of interest to BAs and other practitioners of change who are interested in business analysis early in the project lifecycle.
Principal Consultant / Business Analyst
Blackmetric Business Solutions, Ltd.
Adrian Reed is a true advocate of the analysis profession. In his day job, he acts as Principal Consultant and Director at Blackmetric Business Solutions where he provides business analysis consultancy and training solutions to a range of clients in varying industries. He is Immediate Past President of the UK chapter of the IIBA® and he speaks internationally on topics relating to business analysis and business change.
Adrian's 2016 Presentations:
- Strategic Business Analysis: Identifying the Business Need Before the Project Starts
Monday, October 31, 2016 (9:00 am – 12:00 pm)
- "And Then The Magic Happens": What BAs Can Learn from the World of Magic
Thursday, November 3, 2016 (3:20 pm – 4:20 pm)