8:00 am – 8:50 am | Presentation | Room: Oceana 3-5
Are you a Business Analyst Care taker or Accelerator?
Presented by: Mercy Obi
Business analysts are often so busy with project delivery, work commitments, dealing with problems in the organization that usually no consistent professional growth strategy is ever adopted. Organisations today are transforming at a rapid pace. This pace of technological change, global development and environmental distress is showing no signs of slowing down. It is reshaping the way jobs are defined and organisations operate.
Making changes and pursuing continued professional growth is not a random exercise.
As business analysts, our tendency to be ‘’change blind’ and put too much effort in past experience, knowledge and expertise is no longer sufficient to survive these changes.
Those who thrive and flourish will have the skills that are relevant as conditions change.
Just being aware of these changes is not enough. Healthy organisations and individuals are in constant motion, embracing and adapting to a new future. So how can we as business analysts navigate the new normal, pursue professional growth on our own terms and change because we choose to versus change because we are forced to?
This interactive presentation is a combination of a case study and personal story of a Business Analyst who was dissatisfied with the status quo, chose to pursue professional growth, failed, nailed it and leveraged change to her benefit.
In this session we will:
- Explore challenges faced by analysts where there is a desire to pursue professional growth but experience road blocks.
- Identify critical ingredients for professional growth to happen fast and proactively.
- Present options available for analysts to develop mindset, skills and behavior required for continued professional growth.
- Share case study and personal story of a Business Analyst who was dissatisfied with the status quo, pursued professional growth and leveraged it to her benefit.
- Encourage participants to take actions to leave lasting benefits and value for themselves, organisations and beyond.
- Share how to embrace change and pursue continued professional growth
- Identify potential roadblocks to achieving and sustaining a professional growth strategy
- Explore ways to leverage on our network and identify our greatest assets on the professional growth journey
Lead Business Analyst Consultant
FirstPlus Consulting Limited
Mercy has extensive experience in business analysis, system analysis and data modelling. She has worked in a range of industries in both public and private sector as an independent consultant.
Mercy enjoys working with project professionals grappling with complex requirements and disengaged stakeholders on projects and business transformation programmes to create a simple, persuasive and engaging story together, which deliver immediate benefits and brings clarity. At the heart of it all, she is a data storyteller.
Mercy holds a BSc in Electrical Engineering from Temple University. She spoke at the IIBA® conferences in London and New York and recently at the Business Analysis Summit 2017 on ‘ How Experienced BAs can develop themselves’.
Mercy's 2017 Presentations:
- Are you a Business Analyst Care taker or Accelerator?
Thursday, November 9, 2017 (8:00 am – 8:50 am)