2:55 pm – 3:40 pm | Presentation | Room: Cibolo 1-3
A Journey Towards Building Trust and Alignment in Data and Metrics
Presented by: Vanessa Lam
Optoro is a technology company that develops solutions to eliminate waste from the reverse supply chain. As such, we are frequently asked to measure our success through numeric metrics. This presentation will walk you through Optoro’s journey from vague, undefined terms to standardized metrics and definitions.
Using our Key Performance Indicators as a case study, this presentation will cover
- The pitfalls of using a metric that has a meaning but not a definition
- Tactics for getting stakeholder buy-in for changes and improving company trust in data
- The importance of getting alignment on all assumptions, both from the technical and business perspectives
- The continuous movement towards both a single source of truth and democratized data
This on-going endeavor is yielding benefits to Optoro, especially by improving our communication and aligning our goals. Fewer meetings are bogged down by cumbersome questions as "Why does Client Development have a different Refund Percentage than Ecommerce?" and "When you say 'Shipping Fee', do you mean what we charge our clients or what we pay to our shipping provider?" We are able to be more consistent in communicating both internally and externally, reducing confusion. Users are also now more informed about data, increasing trust and reliance on the data to make operational decisions.
- How does having metrics definitions bring us closer to a single source of truth?
- How to avoid several employees answering the same metrics question with different numbers
- How companies can improve internal communication and alignment through clearly defined metrics
Ms. Lam is the Business Intelligence Manager at Optoro, a growth-stage technology company producing warehouse solutions for reverse logistics. She works on data requirements gathering, metrics standardization, and dashboard creation. Her background as a data analyst and consumer has given her the context necessary to optimize the data experience for the end user; as such, she instigated and is leading the Tableau Ambassadors Group, Optoro's internal BI Center of Excellence. Ms. Lam graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Economics from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.
Vanessa's 2018 Presentations:
- A Journey Towards Building Trust and Alignment in Data and Metrics
Wednesday, November 7, 2018 (2:55 pm – 3:40 pm)